To understand where I am coming from, first watch the video here. It’s a short video, yet says a lot. It is referring to how we should be teaching students to be literate, but I can only think about the teachers. If teachers are not literate, according to the National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE) then how can they teach it?
In the video Will Richardson gives the 6 concepts of being a literate person. I listed them below.
- Develop proficiency with the tools of technology
- Build relationships with others to pose and solve problems collaboratively and cross-culturally
- Design and share information for global communities to meet a variety of purposes
- Manage, analyze and synthesize multiple streams of simultaneous information
- Create, critique, analyze, and evaluate multi-media texts
- Attend to the ethical responsibilities required by these complex environments
I don’t want to go into this, but can you think of teachers that are not literate in all 6 areas? How do you feel this will effect that students? How do you suggest things change?